Pages

Monday, December 29, 2014

Pee Wee on NetFlix


There are a few shows that really stand out to me from growing up.  One is the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  Another was X-Men.  Probably rounding out my top three as standing out the most, shaping my life kind of a thing, would probably be Pee Wee's Playhouse.  For whatever reason,  I loved this show.  I couldn't really tell you why I enjoyed this show, but somehow as an 8 year old kid, it resonated with me.  I know and have heard all about Paul Reubens' issues since the show went off the air, but it never really diminished my love and appreciation for the series.  I used to ride my little red scooter and pretend I was Pee Wee leaving from his playhouse at the end of an episode.

Recently, my kids and I discovered that the series was available to watch on NetFlix (who knows for how long).  I was excited and started out by showing them his Christmas special.  I didn't know if the kids would like it, or if the show would just look really old so they just wouldn't be interested in it.  To my delight, the kids have really enjoyed it.  Who knew?  My oldest boy, Johnny, has been watching it nonstop, which somehow makes me feel pretty good.  Lucy has also enjoyed watching it in spurts. The show probably drives my wife crazy.  It is loud and annoying and just weird, but I can look past all of that and I just see the show I loved as a kid.

It's hard to say what makes the show so appealing to kids.  I think one big thing it has going for it is that the show is completely random.  There is no overarching storyline from one episode to the next, or really any kind of story at all.  It just seems to bounce around from one thing to the next.  The only thing that seems to be consistent throughout an episode is the word of the day, which leads to screaming each time it comes up.  As I think about this, I believe it really is the reason kids love this show.  Think about.  Have you ever had a conversation with a child?  It is totally random and it bounces around from one thing to the next.  That is how kids think, at least it seems like that is how they think.

The show doesn't look overly dated, and I think that is part of the beauty of the show.  Yes, somethings stand out, like Pee Wee's suit and bow tie, or Miss Yvonne's Beehive updo, but those things were dated when the show originally aired, so it doesn't stick out any more than it already did. There isn't a lot in the show that dates it.  Yes the colors are bright, like the 1990's, but kids always love bright colors, so it works.  There isn't a heavy agenda being pushed with learning this thing or that, it was simply entertainment, and the kids love it.  It was fun for me to also join them on that nostalgic journey, and it makes me happy.  It is one of the biggest benefits, I think, of NetFlix. It is rediscovering these old shows and having the opportunity to share them with your kids.



No comments:

Post a Comment