Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Geeky Books for Kids: 5 Series to Get Your Kid's Reading Started Off Right


Have you been to the children's section of a book store lately, or maybe your kids' school does one of those book fairs? Look around at those things and notice what passes for children's literature nowadays.  It is basically the same crap the kids watch on TV, now in book form. Of course, the books are always heavily laden with pictures because a lot of book publishers think your kids are too dumb to read a book that doesn't have pictures in it. Of course, with my kids they are probably just assuming that because their dad is too dumb to read a book with no pictures. In any case, it really is unacceptable for geeks to allow their kids to read such sub par books. It is important that our kids learn to read, and more importantly, learn to love to read.  That is really the key. Giving them a book that is based on a cartoon show or a video game will only want to make them watch that cartoon show or play that video game. We need to introduce them to some books that help them use their imaginations and will keep their attention.  Have no fear, your friendly, neighborhood Geeky Dad is here.  I have compiled here a list of 5 series that should be appealing to any geek, and to their children. Reading these books, you will probably be just as entertained as your kids. This is by no means an end all list, in fact I openly recognize that these may not even be the best 5 kids' series out there (Although, I do feel strongly that Chronicles of Narnia and Harry Potter are probably numbers 1 and 2, respectively). This is just a list of series that hopefully you will enjoy and your kids will enjoy, and hopefully they will want to read more.

Chronicles of Narnia

This classic series by C.S. Lewis is a must read for any geek and their child. It has everything from magic to talking animals to an evil queen to kids being center stage. The heroes being kids is a must for any series written for kids. Kids identify with them better than they do adults, and are more interested in the story at that point. They come away from a story featuring kids feeling like they can do a lot of amazing things, and really, don't we want our kids to feel that way? If you are unfamiliar with the story, it is about some kids who make it into another world called Narnia. There they meet a Lion named Aslan who is the lord of that world and always seems to show up when they need him. The first story involves two brothers and two sisters who make it into Narnia through a magic wardrobe. I read this book when I was younger, and spent about a year looking in the backs of closets and wardrobes for a way into another world. It never worked, unfortunately. I love these books and the morals and values your kids can learn from these books. And Lucy, who is in quite a few of the books, is the best. I just lover her.  Let's just say that it is no coincidence that I have a daughter named Lucy.

Harry Potter

This is the best modern series for kids. Now, the first 2 books are pretty safe for any age group, I think, but be careful as you go further into the series because it does get quite a bit darker as it goes on, so you need to know your kids and what they can handle. Especially the last 3. One thing I like about this book is that it doesn't treat the target audience like they can't handle big things. Death, for example, seems to be something that is usually absent from kids' books, but Harry faces it head on, and I think that's OK. Another thing I really like about the series is that there are well defined good guys, and well defined bad guys, and then there are some folks in between, so you learn not to judge people too quickly. The story basically follows a young boy named Harry Potter, who is an orphan who lives in a cupboard under the stairs at his Aunt and Uncle's house and is not treated well at all. Then, on his 11th birthday he finds out he is really a wizard, and not just any wizard, but he's super famous in the wizarding world. The series follows him as he grows up, each volume following a year in school. The big baddie in the series is Voldemort, and Harry finds himself facing off against him in each book, in some form or another. I would guess that most people who are reading this post are familiar with Harry Potter in some form or another.

The Janitors Series

I am sure, just like me, you used to always look at the janitors in your school and wonder if they weren't really wizards and witches, protecting the school from little creatures who feed off of children's brainwaves. Wait, you didn't think that when you were in school? Neither did I. I don't think anyone did, except Tyler Whitesides, who is the author that brought us this highly imaginative, original idea. When I heard the idea, my first thought was that it was pretty weird. It was weird, and intriguing at the same time. I wanted to see if it was any good, so I borrowed it from the local library, and was very pleasantly surprised. The story sucked me in pretty quick, and, because it is written for a younger audience, it was pretty fast paced. After reading these books, you will never look at janitors at your kids' schools the same way again. You'll always be wondering if they are secret wizards or witches.

Michael Vey

This is the latest effort by famed author Richard Paul Evans. Yes, the guy who wrote The Christmas Box. I'll be honest, I did not know what to think of the idea of reading anything by Richard Paul Evans, and the advertising for this book has been dreadful. There is a YouTube commercial you can find for this book, and it just makes the whole thing feel cheap and just low quality, so that didn't sell me on it either. That being said, i borrowed the first one from the library, and then I couldn't put it down. The story follows a young boy named Michael Vey who has secret powers-he can shock people with his own electricity. Not just like a small static shock, but really shock people. He has no idea why he has these powers, but he and his mom have had to move around and hide to keep him safe. That's how he ends up in Pocatello, ID. Then he discovers that the cute cheerleader at his school also has electric powers like him. The two become friends and begin researching where they came from and what hey might have in common, and that's when the real trouble starts. One of the best things about this book is that Michael has Tourette Syndrome, which I had only seen acted out in movies as crazy people who yell obscenities a lot. This is not like that. He has some nervous ticks he can't always control, but that's it. It seemed pretty legit, and then I found out that the author has it, so it made sense. It adds a new depth to the character, in my opinion.

Skulduggery Pleasant

Have you ever been in a public library and you see a book that looks intriguing and interesting, so you just pick it up and bring it home. I mean, why not? It doesn't cost you anything. That's what happened with this book recently. I saw it sitting there and couldn't pass it up, and I was glad I did. The basic story revolves around a girl named Stephanie whose favorite uncle just died. He was a rich, successful author with a big house and lots of other nice things. All of this he leaves to Stephanie in his will, and none of it to her other uncle and his wife who are greedy and nasty people. While Stephanie is at the reading of her Uncle's will she meets a man who was a friend of her Uncle's. This man is Skulduggery Pleasant. Later she discovers that there is more than meets the eye with Skulduggery, or maybe it is less. She discovers he is a living skeleton, who is also a wizard and a detective. She teams up with him to discover what really happened to her Uncle, and the whole thing is just a fun ride. Skulduggery is full of wit and charm, and has an incredible sense of humor. The story reminded me of the first time I read Harry Potter. I was just swept away into this world of magic and imagination. Plus, Stephanie is the kind of girl character I want my girls to read. The books in the series can be hard to find at your local bookstore, but I found them at my library, which is nice because it costs less than buying the books any way.

There you have it. If you have been looking for some fun series to begin reading with your kids, there are 5 of them. Check them out, they have my official seal of approval. I don't know if that means anything to anyone, but there you have it. What are some of your favorite books you have read with your kids? Let me know in the comments.  I would love to hear about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment